Thursday, September 6, 2018

When I Lost and I Was Delighted.


August 25, 7:55PM. I took my body stats using the InBody machine at Anytime Fitness in Pioneer Center. What it showed me was a total heart-breaker: Body Fat Mass of 31.5lbs, Percent Body Fat of 19.6, Muscle Mass of 73.2lbs, and Segmental Fat/Trunk of 21% (over normal range).

It was with those figures that I decided to work on these damn-stubborn fats. The next day, I started intermittent fasting.

I chose the 10-hour eating window (i.e. 14-hour fast), missing breakfast -- knowing that this should be more manageable, considering I'd be asleep a few hours after the fasting period starts at 10pm.

Man, the next couple of days were harrowing. Just for reference, I had type 2 diabetes, and my body didn't really respond well to starvation (or just plain hunger) -- I'd get dizzy, weak, and at one point in the past, had fainting spells. So those things happened to me in the first 2 or 3 days, sans the fainting (thankfully). All I had during the fasting period were brewed coffee (say, a venti-sized cup), water....and lots of prayers!

I had to keep my mind occupied -- I went to more meetings than were necessary, I walked to and from cubicles just to keep me moving, and I worked on my tons of contracts to sign (a different story about that later!). All just so I wouldn't get focused on my hunger pangs.

My feeding time would supposedly start at 12nn -- but because of work, and some prep time needed for meals at home for lunch, I'd be able to eat by 1230pm...which makes it approximately 14.5hours fasting. Good job, Bentong. LOL

So I've done it for a while now, the dizziness and weakness got less and less. I noticed that whenever I'd eat (during feeding window), my stomach seem to be filled almost as soon as I put a moderate amount of food in my mouth -- as if it had shrunk because of the fasting. Don't get me wrong, I get hungry LIKE HELL during the feeding period. But I help myself ride these craving waves by drinking Javita Green Tea, lots of water, some more coffee, and when I've done my groceries prior, juices (e.g. my Slimer Drink: kale, kiwi, green apple and cucumber).

Tonight, I dared step on the InBody again. With a prayer and crossed fingers, the printout came out to these: Body Fat Mass of 29lbs, Percent Body Fat of 18, Muscle Mass of 75.6lbs, and Segmental Fat/Trunk of 19.5% (normal range).

I lost. And I was delighted. 

There's still a long way to go to get to Percent Body Fat of 14-15. But, hey, it's still three months till my Bali trip. So, here's to more juicing, coffee and green tea. And lots of hip-hop classes.

No comments: