Thursday, September 6, 2018

How to Fall In Love With Anyone



Three years ago, The New York Times published an article called "The 36 Questions That Lead to Love." This was based on a modern love essay by Mandy Len Catron (“To Fall in Love With Anyone, Do This”) and a study by psychologist Arthur Aron, which explores whether intimacy between two strangers can be accelerated by having them ask each other a specific series of personal questions -- thus these 36 questions.

Some of the questions are rather interesting, some thought-provoking, while others so-so. I've pre-selected some of my favorites, and I'll answer them here as candidly and unpretentiously as possible.

1. GIVEN THE CHOICE OF ANYONE IN THE WORLD, WHOM WOULD YOU WANT AS A DINNER GUEST?  
>> Barack and Michelle Obama

2. WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE FAMOUS? IN WHAT WAY? 
>> Yes, Like being part of a team that'd discover a permanent cure for illnesses like HIV or diabetes or cancers.

3. WHAT WOULD CONSTITUTE A “PERFECT” DAY FOR YOU? 
>> Quality time with my loved one/s (be it family, friend or significant other), enjoying the moment, having a good meal or drinks and laughing heartily, with no care for any worries of the world.

4. IF YOU WERE ABLE TO LIVE TO THE AGE OF 90 AND RETAIN EITHER THE MIND OR BODY OF A 30-YEAR-OLD FOR THE LAST 60 YEARS OF YOUR LIFE, WHICH WOULD YOU WANT? 
>> Retain the body -- so I can still be strong enough to explore and make new memories.

5. DO YOU HAVE A SECRET HUNCH ABOUT HOW YOU WILL DIE?

>> Either a heart attack, a stray bullet, or the adult counterpart of SIDS

6. FOR WHAT IN YOUR LIFE DO YOU FEEL MOST GRATEFUL?
>> That at my age, I am able to see the world, live comfortably, have a healthy body, meet amazing people, see my family happy, and be respected for my skills and talents.

7. IF YOU COULD CHANGE ANYTHING ABOUT THE WAY YOU WERE RAISED, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

>> Not being able to reason out with adults and most authority figures, that all we are expected to do was say yes and be obedient no matter what.

8. IF YOU COULD WAKE UP TOMORROW HAVING GAINED ANY ONE QUALITY OR ABILITY, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

>> The ability to fast-forward in time to see how a decision I'll make in the present would turn out, so I'd be better forewarned.

9. WHAT DO YOU VALUE MOST IN A FRIENDSHIP?

>> Reliability, trustworthiness, fairness/impartiality, genuine concern, and respect for my time.

10. IF YOU KNEW THAT IN ONE YEAR YOU WOULD DIE SUDDENLY, WOULD YOU CHANGE ANYTHING ABOUT THE WAY YOU ARE NOW LIVING? WHY?

>> I will update my Last Will and Testament, ensure that when I die, nobody will be inconvenienced/hassled; and I will book trips to Peru, Egypt, Jordan, Norway/Iceland, Africa, and as many countries I could visit with my savings. And hopefully with my partner. :)

11. WHAT, IF ANYTHING, IS TOO SERIOUS TO BE JOKED ABOUT?

>> Rape. Child molestation/prostitution. Suicide. Other people's physical flaws.

12. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR MOTHER?

>> I'm a self-proclaimed Mama's Boy. I love my mom to pieces and I will move heaven and earth to make her happy (and proud of me).

13. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY IN FRONT OF ANOTHER PERSON?

>> Yesterday, when someone was telling me that I was one of the most selfless and helpful person that she's worked with, and that she can't wrap her head around the idea of me leaving.

14. COMPLETE THIS SENTENCE: “I WISH I HAD SOMEONE WITH WHOM I COULD SHARE ... “

>> my happiness, and all the love I can give.

-------------

What are YOUR answers? I'm interested to find out 😉

No comments: